Monday, April 15, 2013

DIY Painted Flower Vases

These were still in the process of being painted (that's why the top of the glass is still clear)
I've found so many clever ideas on Pinterest.  This was one of them.  I am looking for ways to bring a "pop of color" to my home for the warmer weather and thought this painted vase idea would be fun.
I had some glass vases already, purchased some from the dollar store, and my mother in law gave me some. However, I've come to enjoy this project so much that I am now paint-happy.  I have started to paint mason jars, glass jars to other food items, and even Pepsi bottles.  Yes, I'm serious.  Anything that is glass I scan over to determine if I can turn it into a vase. 

What I Use:
-Glass container
-Acrylic paint
-Water
-Newspapers to protect surface of table


Here, I have poured in some of the paint and a tiny amount of water to thin it down and make it more spreadable.   I just squirt or pour the paint in, drip in a bit of water, and swirl it together really well at the bottom of the container to combine.  



After the paint and water is combined, I start rolling the glass bottle (or jar, vase, etc.) on its side to allow the paint to drip and completely cover the inside surface.

After I am satisfied I have gotten most of the inside surface covered, I flip the bottle upside down and allow the excess to drip out.   A lot of people allow it to completely dry while upside down, but I find it takes much longer this way.  With a small opening (like on a bottle), the air has a harder time getting in to dry the paint.  So, I will allow it to sit upside down for a while, but then flip it right side up to completely dry.  




 I think you can use pretty much any kind of paint.  Some people have used left over wall paint, others spray paint.  I think acrylic paint is the most common, though.  I found 2 oz bottles for between $0.49-$0.69 each.    If I thin down the paint with water, I can get 2-3 uses from each bottle.  If I leave it thick I can get 1-2 uses (depending on the size of the container.  Small bottles take much, much less than a large vase).

I wouldn't suggest putting water into the vases and setting live flowers inside...  I would imagine it would wash away the paint (since it is just acrylic).  For this reason, I have been putting fake flowers in mine....  which I will probably show at some point.  I made a bunch of them but completely forgot to photograph as I was making them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy hearing your thoughts and opinions, so leave a comment! However, please do not link to your blog. If you'd like to have your blog viewed, send me a message. (comments with links may not be published)