Friday, May 10, 2013

Van Cleef & Arpels Oriens



Oriens comes from the house of Van Cleef & Arpels, who are mostly known for their jewelry. This perfume was launched in 2010 and is considered a chypre floral.  One of the first things you'll notice is the stunning lid on the bottle.  This bottle was actually designed after one of the Van Cleef & Arpels rings, the Arbre aux Songes ring, to be exact.  That translates to the tree of dreams.  Isn't that beautiful?  It already gives a romantic, fantastical image for the perfume. The perfume is supposed to bring to life the Orient, or the East.

This is the Arbre aux Songes ring.


Upon first spritz, I was a bit shocked.  I always anticipate the initial spray is going to be the strongest and most powerful.  Oriens was definitely NOT a fragrance bomb.  In fact, it was very light.  It had a fresh, slightly scented-water quality to it.  I picked up on something very sweet, like candy.  There was almost a bubblegum quality to it.  Along side that I picked up on a juicy berry.

About 15 minutes in I really detect the praline note.  It is creamy chocolate with a hint of something nutty.  Creeping in is also a boozy berry quality.  It is like a bubbly champagne. I also notice that the perfume is getting stronger and blossoming.  YAY! There is something about it at this point that reminds me of Miss Dior. I think it is the orange blossom and jasmine coming to life.

Right around the half hour mark, I smell vanilla.  It is a delicious, sweet, creamy vanillic aroma. Beyond that, the strong scent stepping forward is patchouli.  I have a real love for the earthy, dirty form of patchouli.   Maybe it has to do with my mother wearing patchouli oils for as long as I can remember or every year going to renaissance festivals and being greeted by the shops selling incense and oils.  I've always had a love for patchouli...at least for as long as I can remember.  While some people enjoy the odd smell of gasoline, I adore the smell of fresh turned soil (which is similar to a dirty patchouli). I went off on a tangent.  Anyhow, the patchouli is quite an earthy one in this perfume.

Three hours in, this perfume is still going strong! The amber is noticeable now.  It has become something creamy, and cozy in scent. It has melted with the natural skin smell and is warm and....well....cozy! HAHA!

This is quite long lasting on me.  I put it on late afternoon and the next morning I could still smell it in the crook of my arms as well as on the sleeve of my night shirt.  Same with day wear.  I can put it on in the morning, and that evening I am still catching whiffs of it.

I think the bottle is stunning.  Photos don't even capture how beautiful it is in person.  I have heard some say the bottle is cheap in appearance.  I disagree.  I think it is elegant and doesn't cross into tacky territory. But, that is just my opinion.  I enjoy looking at it.  It has some serious heft to it, too.  It is much heavier than I expected it to be.

All around, I really enjoy this perfume.  I think this is a fragrance that can be worn, pretty much, year round.  The only exception I, personally, would make is wearing it on very scorching summer days. I would probably pass at that point because I think it might be a bit too heady for the very hottest days.

Top Notes: mandarin orange, black currant, raspberry
Mid Notes: jasmine, white flowers
Base Notes: patchouli, praline, amber, vanilla




*Photo of the Arbre aux Songes ring from the Van Cleef & Arpels website.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy hearing your thoughts and opinions, so leave a comment! However, please do not link to your blog. If you'd like to have your blog viewed, send me a message. (comments with links may not be published)